#comments { display: none!important; }

Monday 21 September 2015

Emma Watson - He For She


September 21, 2014. Emma Watson made her He For She speech during the UN Women's campaign. I've always wanted to write about this, and a year on, I think there's no time like the present.

Emma has always been a person I looked up to. I found out about her the way most of us did, through the (also amazing) character of Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter films. I admired when she chose to go to university and get a degree instead of solely perusing an acting career. But this speech, that was something else.

I hadn't really grasped the concept of feminism until I saw that speech, however I decided that I was one after viewing it (and yes, you can enjoy makeup and 'feminine' things and still be a feminist). I started making more conscious decisions on my choice of words and actions. And, the more I did this, the more I understood the speech Emma made at the UN.

The best thing about the speech? The movement it created. So many people nowadays are standing up when people say derogatory things, I recently had a conversation with my friends during lunch about what a feminist is, and I see so many people making sure that their words don't offend anyone.

Emma, if you ever read this, thank you. You allowed me to become something I'll be for my whole life, and your speech is a moment I won't be forgetting any time soon.

Em x