#comments { display: none!important; }

Thursday 2 July 2015

To Taylor, Love Em


To Taylor,
I read your tumblr post about a week ago, about Apple Music and the ripple effect it has caused on the company. So, as a young person who'd like to release music someday, I want to say thank you.
Making music is a lot of work, as I'm sure you and most people reading this know. From writing, rehearsing, time in studio, producing, it's tough. And the prospect of going without any return for 3 months is not something any independent artist wants to think about. I'm not going to lie, I don't know you that well as an artist but as a music maker who knows many local talented artists, I definitely perked up at the post 'To Apple, Love Taylor".

Thank you for bringing the whole Apple Music issue to attention. You didn't have to, because streaming won't be affecting your music sales too much. People like my friend, Sammy*, though don't have it so easy. She writes some amazing music, and she's very talented, but it would definitely be tough for her to go through three months without pay. The sales of a single aren't just for profit, you have to pay for a lot of the production costs as an independent artist. The fact that people are aware about the struggle a young artist would face with forgoing iTunes revenue is great.

And thanks for handling it so well. Although three months without pay is scary, you never once bad mouthed Apple. I'll be the first one to say that I love the Apple Company, iTunes, my iPhone, and my Garage-band, because they all help in working on my music. It was just a small oversight, and Apple obviously wasn't aware of the problem, so it's great for you to bring it to light so calmly. Apple reacted to your post very quickly, and the issue has been resolved, which is great.

So thank you Taylor, this was a really amazing thing to do, and I'm sure many independent artists are very grateful for using your influence to help them in regard to Apple music.

Love Em

Taylor's post is linked here, and for anybody wondering, I might share some of the original music I mentioned one day.

*Name Changed