#comments { display: none!important; }

Thursday 9 July 2015

Travel Anxiety Tips


Yesterday I jumped on a plane to Melbourne, yay! I'm writing this from my favourite city in the country, and I'm feeling great. 24 hours ago? Not so much... I had a fair bit of travel anxiety, but far less than in the past, so I'm going to share the things I used to make me feel more comfortable up in the air.

PRINT OUT FLIGHT DETAILS
Keep them with you. Because I was travelling alone with my sister, I was responsible for all of the admin stuff. I made sure well before I had electronic records and print ones of our gate, time of departure, boarding passes and itinerary, and that really helped calm my nerves.

DO SOMETHING CALMING
Something that makes you feel at ease and safe. I switch it up a lot but some things you could use are a calming balm or roller ball like the one from This Works, listen to music, or for this trip, I listened to one of the Take 10 podcasts on an app called Headspace. It has ten ten-minute calming podcasts or you can listen to for free or you can subscribe for other kinds of meditation. It's different for everyone, so find something that makes you feel completely safe.

REMEMBER YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY ONE
There are hundreds, thousands of planes taking off and landing every day! There is such a small chance that any malfunction will occur, but I understand that reasoning is hard when you're panicky. Just try not to think about any of that stuff and please don't react like this guy from Friends.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE WEATHER
When I was walking out on the tarmac it was raining, which made me panic a little. When we came out of the clouds though, it was clear and all of it was fine. Never judge a book by its cover, I guess!

Air travel can be tough, but if you can remember some if these tips I'm sure you'll be fine. x